- Visit the Farmfresh.org website and search for farms offering shares in your local area;
- Reach out to the farms of interest and ask any questions you may have about their practices, use of chemicals etc. Many of the farms have websites that offer all of the information at your fingertips;
- Find out information about the different sizes and costs of shares;
- Go for it!
For our first season, my sister-in-law and I decided to share a large family share. This would allow us CSA rookies to use fresh, local produce for our families without risk of wasting. As for the budget, the 17 weeks of fresh veggies breaks down to about $17.65/week for each family. Not bad! I'll keep you posted on the goods as they come in!
Although our CSA share is just starting this week, I am confident that this will be a small change with large benefits. Here is how I see it:
- Research local farms offering shares;
- Reach out to the farms to get more information;
- Plan and purchase a CSA share for the season!
- Support local farms/business:
- Feed the family freshly grown produce;
- Meet the people who grow your family's food;
- Learn how to cook/bake with new foods that are fresh and in season!