Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sweet Pea Pancakes

Several months ago I had to experiment with many recipes to get our little one to eat anything other than rice puffs.  I needed to find a way to hide fruit so she would eat some.  One of these recipes has morphed into a weekend breakfast staple in our house.  In fact, this dish has become expected by the ruler of the roost (yep- I admit it in writing) to the point that I find myself pulled over to the oven by little hands on weekend mornings as I hear "C'mon mommy....pancake." And who can resist then?  Our little sweet pea loves them! So here is our super quick recipe and these portions make 4 decent sized pancakes- the perfect amount for 2 people to share:

-1/3 cup flour (Ideally,  we use our own ground flour but I will also substitute store bought wheat flour if we haven't kept up with grinding)
-1/3 cup of your favorite oatmeal
-1 egg
-Cinnamon to your flavor preference
-Dash of vanilla extract
-Fruit: I have used mashed banana and/or frozen or fresh blueberries but the options are endless
-enough organic milk to bring the mixture to a pancake batter consistency

Prepare a cooking skillet with cooking spray or a small amount of oil and set on medium heat while you mix all ingredients together in a bowl.  Pour onto the skillet, two pancakes at a time, and flip accordingly.  Serve with a dash of real maple syrup, agave or even honey! Throw some fresh fruit on top and don't forget your coffee!

Happy Saturday! With this beautiful weather, we are gearing up for a weekend run later today!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I make banana pancakes all the time now. For the same reason, Kaylee won't eat anything! Although, our recipe is a bit different. I use two big mashed bananas and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour. It makes 6 good sized pancakes for us.

Healthy Ambitions said...

I LOVE banana pancakes, aren't they great? Glad to hear I am not the only one trying to get a little one to eat hidden fruit!

Post a Comment